Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Influenza activity is declining. Non-influenza respiratory virus activity was relatively stable this week.
- Indicators of influenza activity, including notifications, proportion of positive laboratory tests for influenza, ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs), Emergency Department ILI presentations and influenza-associated hospitalisations decreased this week.
- The majority of influenza viruses subtyped were influenza A/H1N1; epidemic A/H3N2 activity in the West Kimberley region continues to decrease. Influenza B continues to circulate at a low level.
- Detections of non-influenza respiratory viruses decreased or remained stable this week.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs are relatively stable and at expected levels.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Shingles and chickenpox presentations to GPs and sentinel EDs continue to fluctuate at around baseline levels.
- No confirmed cases of measles, mumps or rubella were reported.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org)