Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Influenza activity is increasing; non-influenza respiratory virus activity continues to increase.
- ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs) and emergency departments (EDs) and influenza notifications increased; however, hospitalisations remain low.
- The majority of influenza viruses subtyped in the past week were influenza A/H1N1, but influenza B and influenza A/H3 are also circulating.
- Detections of non-influenza respiratory viruses increased this week, and respiratory syncytial virus activity remains high.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs are within expected levels.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Shingles presentations to sentinel GPs remain above expected levels; chickenpox presentations remain low.
- One secondary case of measles was reported in a household contact of a confirmed case.
- No confirmed cases of mumps or rubella were reported.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org)