Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Indicators of influenza activity remain relatively steady, at inter-seasonal levels.
- ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs) were steady but presentations and admissions to sentinel Emergency Departments (EDs) increased this week.
- Routine and sentinel detections of influenza virus remain low, with influenza A/H3N2 constituting the majority of subtyped viruses; influenza A/H1N1 and influenza B continue to co-circulate.
- Respiratory syncytial virus activity appears to be increasing.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs continue to fluctuate within expected levels.
- Rotavirus and norovirus detections decreased this week.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Shingles and chickenpox presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs are near baseline levels.
- No cases of measles, mumps or rubella were confirmed this week.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org)