Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Influenza and non-influenza respiratory virus activity remain low and at inter-seasonal levels.
- ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs) remain low this week.
- ILI presentations to sentinel emergency departments (EDs) increased this week.
- Routine and sentinel detections of influenza virus remain low, with influenza A/H3N2 constituting the majority of subtyped viruses; influenza A/H1N1 and influenza B continue to co-circulate.
- Detections of non-influenza respiratory viruses remain low.
- Presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs are consistent with this time period during previous years.
- Norovirus detections declined this week.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Both shingles and chickenpox presentations to sentinel EDs and GPs are near or above baseline level.
- No cases of measles or rubella were confirmed this week. One case of locally-acquired mumps was notified in a fly-in fly-out miner to the Pilbara.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org)