Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Some indicators of influenza and non-influenza respiratory virus activity showed signs of increasing activity this week.
- ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs) and admissions to sentinel Emergency Departments (EDs) increased this week.
- Routine and sentinel detections of influenza virus remain low, with influenza A/H3N2 and influenza B constituting the majority of subtyped viruses.
- Non-influenza respiratory virus detections increased marginally this week.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs continue to fluctuate within expected levels.
- Rotavirus detections increased this week.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Shingles presentations to sentinel GPs remain above baseline level.
- Chickenpox presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs remain low.
- Two cases of mumps were confirmed: an adult Perth resident with no identified travel or exposure history; and a child from a remote Aboriginal community in the Kimberley region currently experiencing a mumps outbreak.
- No cases of measles or rubella were confirmed this week.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to email@example.com)