Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Influenza and non-influenza virus activity continue to decline and are at inter-seasonal levels.
- Detections of influenza virus decreased this week.
- Hospitalisations for influenza and presentations to sentinel emergency departments (EDs) for ILI remained stable, and are at baseline level.
- Influenza A/H3N2 and influenza B continue to co-circulate at low levels.
- Detections of non-influenza respiratory viruses continue to decline.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel GPs and sentinel EDs decreased but the latter are above expected levels.
- Several outbreaks of gastroenteritis at aged care and child-care facilities have been reported to the Department of Health in recent weeks, with some confirmed to be due to norovirus.
- Overall, norovirus and rotavirus detections decreased this week.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Shingles and chickenpox presentations to sentinel EDs and GPs remain near or below baseline.
- No cases of measles, mumps or rubella were reported this week.
To subscribe to Virus WAtch, send an email with your first and last name plus email address to email@example.com