Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Influenza and non-influenza respiratory virus activity is low and at inter-seasonal levels.
- ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs) and emergency departments (EDs) remain low.
- Routine and sentinel detections of influenza virus remain low.
- Influenza A/H3N2, influenza A/H1N1 and influenza B continue to co-circulate at low levels.
- Detections of non-influenza respiratory viruses continue to fluctuate at low levels.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel GPs decreased this week, reaching levels similar to previous years.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel EDs remain well above baseline levels.
- Norovirus detections remain elevated.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Shingles presentations to both sentinel GPs and EDs is currently above baseline level, and chickenpox presentations to GPs are also above baseline
- Two locally acquired cases of mumps were reported, in young adult workmates with an unknown source.
- No cases of measles or rubella were reported this week.
Please note that Virus WAtch will not be distributed for the next two weeks. The next issue will be distributed in the new year on 8 January 2014.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org)