Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Non-influenza respiratory virus activity is increasing; indicators of influenza activity remain low.
- ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs) and emergency departments (EDs) remain low and consistent with inter-seasonal levels.
- The number of persons hospitalised with influenza remains low.
- Influenza virus detections remain low, with influenza A/H1N1, influenza A/H3N2 and influenza B co-circulating.
- Non-influenza respiratory virus detections increased this week; in particular, detections of respiratory syncytial virus and parainfluenza viruses increased.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs are around expected levels.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Shingles and chickenpox presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs were near or below expected levels this week.
- No cases of measles, rubella or mumps were confirmed this week.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to email@example.com)