Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Influenza and non-influenza respiratory virus activity remain low and at inter-seasonal levels.
- ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs) and emergency departments (EDs) remain low.
- Routine and sentinel detections of influenza virus remain low, with influenza A/H3N2, influenza A/H1N1, and influenza B co-circulating.
- Detections of non-influenza respiratory viruses were low.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel EDs decreased this week, but remain above baseline levels. Presentations to sentinel GPs remain elevated.
- Norovirus detections appear to be decreasing. Multiple outbreaks of norovirus gastroenteritis have been reported in recent weeks, in residential aged care and other settings.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Shingles presentations to both sentinel GPs and EDs are currently above baseline level. Chickenpox presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs are near expected levels.
- No cases of measles, mumps or rubella were reported this week.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org)