Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Influenza and non-influenza respiratory virus activity remain low and at inter-seasonal levels.
- ILI presentations to sentinel emergency departments (EDs) have increased over the past fortnight, but remain low overall.
- ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs) remain low.
- Routine and sentinel detections of influenza virus remain low, with influenza A/H3N2 constituting the majority of subtyped viruses; influenza A/H1N1 and influenza B continue to co-circulate.
- There were modest increases in RSV and rhinovirus detections this week, but overall non-influenza respiratory virus detections remain low.
- Presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs are consistent with this time period during previous years.
- Norovirus detections decreased this week.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Both shingles and chickenpox presentations to sentinel EDs and GPs are near or below baseline levels.
- No cases of measles, mumps or rubella were confirmed this week.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to email@example.com)