Influenza and Influenza-like Illnesses (ILI)
Summary: Respiratory syncytial virus activity (RSV) remains elevated this week, but influenza activity remains low.
- ILI presentations to sentinel general practitioners (GPs) and emergency departments (EDs) remain low and consistent with inter-seasonal levels.
- The number of persons hospitalised with influenza remains low.
- Influenza virus detections remain low, with influenza A/H3N2 and influenza B co-circulating.
- Non-influenza respiratory virus detections varied, with an increase in parainfluenza activity, a decrease in rhinovirus and adenovirus activity, and little change in the activity of RSV or human metapneumovirus.
- Gastroenteritis presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs are around expected levels. Norovirus detections increased but remain relatively low.
Varicella and Viral Rashes
- Shingles presentations to sentinel GPs and EDs were near expected levels this week, and no chickenpox was reported.
- No cases of measles, mumps or rubella were reported this week.
(To subscribe to Virus WAtch Updates, send an email with your full name, e-mail address and “subscribe” in the subject heading to firstname.lastname@example.org)